Conveyor systems are the very backbone of material handling, helping to quickly and efficiently transport goods from one place to another. Conveyor systems are available in many varied designs. Some of the traditional types include non-powered skate wheel and roller conveyors, while traditional powered conveyors include belt, live roller and chain conveyors.
However, there have been many major technological advances made in conveyor systems, developed to meet the ongoing need for cost reduction, greater reliability, increased throughput and better integrated automation solutions. Motor Driven Roller (MDR) conveyors are a solution that addresses all these needs.
MDR is a modular conveyor system that consists of a series of 24-Volt self-contained motorised rollers. These rollers can be individually powered and are controlled via a locally mounted photocell and control card. Within a specific segment of the conveyor system, adjoining rollers are slave-driven by the motorised roller, creating a section of individually controlled “zones” of conveyor.
With this kind of focused control, it is possible to make certain zones of the same conveyor zero-pressure accumulation zones or simple transportation zones as required by the operation of the system. This leads to greater efficiency, positive control of the product and increased productivity.
Beneficial Features of an MDR Conveyor System:
Improved & Innovative Design
- MDR conveyors have less complex controls, making them operator-friendly.
- The motorised rollers are modular and easier to reconfigure.
- The MDR design is adjustable with built-in variable speed controls.
- The construction of MDR ensures that rare breakdowns only affect a single zone and ease of replacement significantly reduces downtime.
- Photo sensors in the frame of an MDR conveyor system help reduce catch points.
- The low torque rating of the rollers typically allow the conveyors to be operated as an inherently safe conveyor with less pinch points than traditional conveyors.
Greater Energy Savings
- MDR conveyors utilise 24-volt DC motors that can use up to 70% less energy than other traditional conveyor motors.
- MDR conveyors have “run-on-demand” zones that reduce energy consumption and noise.
Decreased Maintenance Costs & Shorter Downtime
- Most MDR conveyor repairs can be performed by a single trained technician.
- The modular design of MDR ensures consistent operations and repairs across all modules.
- MDR conveyors need fewer spare parts and the time required to execute repair is much shorter.
Reduced Environmental Impact
- MDR conveyors have low voltage DC motors requiring less electrical energy to operate.
- MDR conveyor systems are mechanically efficient and quiet, resulting in less noise pollution.
- The innovative design of the MDR drive rollers require no grease or oil, making them a cleaner option.
Improved Working Environment
- MDR conveyors reduce noise emissions to help improve the working environment for staff on the line.
- Fewer controls and clean design make MDR conveyor systems operator-friendly.
- The MDR motor turns itself off when there isn’t any load, resulting in safer operating conditions.
- The “zero-pressure accumulation” feature helps regulate product flow imbalances.
- MDR motors have a lower torque compared to conventional motors, resulting in a lower risk of injury.
On top of all this is the added benefit that MDR systems come with a lower total cost of ownership. How? MDR systems have an extended life cycle, and capital outlay can be amortized on the balance sheet, reducing the long-term impact to your bottom line. Plus, the modularity of MDR components make them easier to integrate into your current operation, saving on the expense of implementing an entirely new system.
Traditional Conveyors are more expensive to run and susceptible to more frequent breakdowns, resulting in delayed shipments and missed deadlines. Upgrading or replacing your conveyor system will not only save you time and money it will improve your overall productivity.
Get Your Product Moving More Efficiently with Mainway
Mainway Handling Systems is committed to providing you with an unprecedented standard of excellence in conveyor design and implementation. We can help you reconfigure your existing conveyor equipment or install an automated MDR system with minimal disruptions.
At Mainway, we are always one step ahead in technology advancements, ultimately producing an exceptional end result that will increase your productivity and improve your company’s bottom line. Contact us today to see how we can get your product moving more efficiently!